Director, Marketing Project Management – Resource Management
Universal Parks & Resorts is comprised of Universal Orlando Resort, Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal Studios Japan, Universal Studios Singapore, as well as a new destination coming in Beijing, China. We are a universe of opportunities for people who have a lot to offer. It takes a special kind of person to work at all of our destinations. An individual who knows how to be part of a team. Someone with a sense of fun who’s serious about their work. A person who knows it doesn’t take magic to put a smile on a guest’s face… it takes hard work, dedication, knowledge and just the right amount of Universal attitude. Universal’s theme parks offer exactly the kind of vacation families crave – bringing together popular culture’s most compelling stories, characters and adventures to create some of the world’s most innovative and entertaining attraction experiences. These are immersive, next-level, adventures such as The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™, outrageously fun attractions such as Despicable Me Minion Mayhem and highly themed, authentic experiences based on cutting-edge television, such as Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon. We embrace the power of cultural diversity and inclusion and continuously strive to maintain a team that is a reflection of our global audience. Universal Parks & Resorts adheres to ‘The Universal Way’ by not just meeting guest expectations, but exceeding them, every time. Join us if you want to collaborate, innovate, develop, and deliver the most compelling entertainment experiences imaginable that drive growth for the Universal brand around the world. Universal Parks & Resorts provides world-class entertainment destinations with signature theme parks that create unparalleled entertainment.
JOB SUMMARY: Leads Project Management team to increase the quality of work, speed to market, throughput and overall performance of the in-house creative agency. The primary responsibility is to oversee the PM team providing senior-level guidance on all work through the agency, from concepting through tactical execution and maintenance, including scoping, estimating, timelines, budget management and mandatory approvals.
The Director acts as the senior internal agency advocate for all internal accounts, monitoring and communicating program scope creep as well as recommendations for prioritization to marketing and sales leadership. The Director works closely with Creative, Resource Management, Brand and Finance to facilitate monthly client partner bill-backs and agency write-offs.
Agency Workflow Process Management
- Supports VP MarComm Ops and Sr. Director Resource Management in the development of Marketing and Sales defined workflows, balancing speed to market, channel-specific needs and best practices, the creative process and industry best practices
- Advocates and enforces successful implementation and ongoing updates of marketing and sales defined workflows
- Aligns process timelines and SOPs with internal agency and external departments (IMCD, Partnerships, Brand Management/IMC, PR, etc.)
- Ensures campaign architecture structure meets Financial, Account Segment/Channel and Project Management needs
- Ensures project architecture structure meets Project Management needs, as well as Creative and Channel-needs
- Identifies and addresses bottlenecks and repetitive effort preventing efficient flow of work through agency
- Ensures timely and transparent communication of business critical mandatories and expected timelines to achieve speed to market goals and mandatory requirements (Licensed Partners, Legal, Production, etc.)
- Ensures alignment of Workflow and architecture documentation and templates in Workamajig
Agency Annual Workflow Planning
- Drives Annual Planning and Budgeting process
- Works with Brand team to scope and ballpark costs for annual MarComm programs and campaigns
- Ensures alignment between annual budget and MarComm Plan budget
- Recommends ideal Agency outsourcing based on Annual MarComm Plan
- Works with Brand team to revise MarComm scope after finalized budgets
Program Administration + Lifecycle Management
- Oversees successful facilitation of concepting through tactical development and execution of all marketing and sales programs from estimation through launch and maintenance while ensuring they are delivered on-quality (tactical), on-time and on budget
- Works with Resource Manager on assigned work forecasts and outsourcing option recommendations to present to leadership
- Aligns with Brand and Creative on management and prioritization of SCR agenda requests for campaign and project creative presentations
- Manages monthly progressive bill-backs and write off process
- Reviews and approves labor write-offs with Sr. Director
- Administer Look Back, Look Forward meetings at campaign completion with respective teams and present PM retrospective document
- Regularly reports out status of overarching client/program budgets + schedules to leadership
- Ensures regular status + planning meetings are successfully carried out with PM teams and respective internal clients
- Ensures PM team schedules are up to date and accurate for critical resourcing
- Facilitates weekly PM production meetings
- Works directly with Resourcing Manager, Sr. Director Resource Management and VP MarComm ops to prioritize Agency projects, identifying trade-offs and schedule delays
- Oversees development and facilitation of ongoing process and systems training for the PM discipline, including all relevant industry best practices
- Oversees development of Program Managers and supports them in developing their teams, including training plans, growth opportunities and ongoing mentorship and guidance
- Sets the example and holds team accountable to the behaviors defined in the UOR Culture expectations
- Facilitates performance evaluations and development plan guidance per UO policies for all assigned direct reports
- Manages department assignments to maximize utilization and balance workloads
Agency + Vendor Management
- Ensures SOW and estimates are obtained and approved for agency and vendor related work and are within budgeted scope of campaign or project
- Manages production and approval timelines to ensure business critical milestones are documented, communicated to appropriate teams, and achieved
- Manages external agency budget to actuals and provides ongoing updates to CMO
- Ensures all program outside costs are accurately represented in WMJ
SCOPE: Directly manages 5-10 manager professionals, with supporting total staff of 25-35 individuals. Indirectly influences others in the smooth administration of both internal and external marketing resources for execution of marketing and sales programs to direct consumer and B2B audiences.
- Proven ability to manage and prioritize high volume of multiple, concurrent projects simultaneously.
- Expert knowledge of Creative, Advertising, Media and Production Timelines.
- Ability to build cases to top management and peers in support of resources ROI.
- Ability to find and apply innovative project management solutions.
- Extensive experience with or customized development of project management workflow tool/software (Workamajig – preferred; Basecamp, Workfront, MS Project, etc.)
- Extremely detailed oriented and organized.
- Exceptional time management and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to inspire and motivate a diverse team and peers towards a common goal.
- Proficient in MS Office applications including but not limited to Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communication, Advertising or related field.
- 10+ years of progressive experience at a high volume marketing agency or in house creative services department. Proven track record of managing a team of 10 or more direct reports responsible for overseeing the development and tactical execution of large marketing programs/campaigns.
- Preferred candidates will have experience with travel tourism or entertainment industries and proven track record with navigating complex approval processes and co-operative marketing program implementation.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: PMP certification a plus, but not required.
- Candidate must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite programs, including but not limited to Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint. Proficiency with MAC and Adobe Creative Suite also a plus, but not required.
- Workamajig, Workbook, Advantage experience a plus, but not required.
- Will need to become quick expert understanding and application of UOR Brand Standards.
- Strong understanding of intellectual property protocol and relationships a plus.
Your talent, skills and experience will be rewarded with a competitive compensation package.
Universal is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Universal Parks & Resorts via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written Statement of Work in place for this position from Universal Parks & Resorts HR/Recruitment will be deemed the sole property of Universal Parks & Resorts. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Universal Parks & Resorts as a result of the referral or through other means.
Universal elements and all related indicia TM & © 2019 Universal Studios. © 2019 Universal Orlando. All rights reserved. EOE
Universal Parks & Resorts is a place where I am encouraged to let my true self shine. I work with passion and energy and I own my ability to make a difference every day. As a family of committed Team Members, we treat each other with respect and take pride in working together to create fun in everything we do. I know that my contributions result in new opportunities and memorable experiences.