Senior Director, Finance & Administration – Universal Studios Japan
At Universal Creative, we design, develop and deliver the most compelling entertainment experiences imaginable to drive growth for Universal Parks & Resorts worldwide. Our innovative attractions, immersive theme parks and world-class resorts fuse art and technology to create new standards in the themed entertainment industry.
Our Team Members are the driving force behind Universal Creative. With their diverse skills and forward-thinking ideas, our team pushes us beyond the boundaries of what’s possible to achieve the extraordinary. Together, we’re creating a Universe of fun, always ensuring the next thing we do is better than the last thing we did.
JOB SUMMARY: Provide support to the Executive Project Director for all aspects of day-to-day project operations. Has overall responsibility for the finance and administration department for a portfolio of major development projects. This includes financial management and office planning and administration. The role is a key participant in strategic business planning and development of project business processes. Role requires close interaction with multiple 3rd party clients as well as various internal groups such as tax, internal audit, sourcing, and accounting.
- Oversee project estimated final cost and cash flow projections for multiple large development projects. Ensure timely and accurate reporting to senior management. Prepare and present variance analysis against the operating plan and latest estimates.
- Review monthly project management reports with a focus on the monthly and project to date contingency usage and projected financial risk. Notify executive management of forecasted project variances in a timely manner with in depth understanding of key cost drivers
- Partner with various departments within Universal Creative (contracts, project management, etc.), across the various business units (tax, internal audit, capital), Operating departments such as USJ Finance and Accounting, and 3rd party development partners (banks, licensees, etc) to ensure compliance with company and departmental policies as well as project agreements. As needed, review and update standard operating procedures.
- Directs the timely and accurate financial reporting for the Universal Creative department. Supervises month end close process and reviews monthly allocation reports, financial statements and general ledger account reconciliations. Requires understanding of generally accepted accounting principles and ability to recognize when departures exist. Directs the preparation of the annual operating plan and latest estimates (LE’s) for Universal Creative. Identify trends and notify business partners of changes in estimates
- Oversees project financial management including procurement strategy, bid analysis, vendor negotiations, etc
- Provides input into operational enhancements and project implementation strategies for the worldwide Universal Creative division; Leads the execution of those initiatives for the USJ Creative team
- Develops policies and procedures and advises senior management of issues which may be in violation and proposes corrective action.
- Partners with the IT department to ensure technology needs for the Universal Creative department are being met
- Provide input and management support for the implementation of a department project management system
- Directs long-range strategic space planning for Universal Creative while maximizing efficiency and minimizing financial impact. Requires timely communication with senior project leadership to enable execution of forward-looking strategy. Oversees sourcing, negotiation and procurement of all required office resources. Negotiates building lease terms. Works closely with facility management, USJ Finance and Accounting, and Legal Department to support Universal Creative project teams
- Review contracts and other committing documents to ensure for accuracy and completeness of financial terms, budget conformance, cash flow provisions and sourcing justification.
- Oversee department administration efforts including but not necessarily limited to overtime tracking, purchase orders, internal approvals, invoice and contract routing
- Oversee team of translators for the department ensuring access to key translation resources as needed (both internal and external)
- Manage, train and develop a strong team consisting of finance and office administration professionals.
SCOPE: Role is non-routine and involves application of general policies to frequently changing situations. A detailed understanding of technical issues is required. Scope of responsibility includes budgeting, reporting, asset management, system implementation, process design/documentation, organizational planning. Job supervises skilled positions in finance and office administration.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business, Economics or a related field is required. Master’s degree preferred.
EXPERIENCE: 5-7 years of supervisory experience; 10+ years’ of relevant experience is preferred. Prefer financial designation such as Certified Public Accountant, Chartered Management Accountant or Chartered Financial Analyst; Prefer experience in project management/construction environment; Strong PC skills (excel, powerpoint and word) required; experience with SAP and PM Web preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Willingness to live in Osaka, Japan and travel domestically or internationally for business trips. Ability to read, write and speak Japanese is preferred.
Your talent, skills and experience will be rewarded with a competitive compensation package.
Universal is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Universal Orlando via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written Statement of Work in place for this position from Universal Orlando HR/Recruitment will be deemed the sole property of Universal Orlando. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Universal Orlando as a result of the referral or through other means.
Universal elements and all related indicia TM & © 2019 Universal Studios. © 2019 Universal Orlando. All rights reserved. EOE
Universal Parks & Resorts is a place where I am encouraged to let my true self shine. I work with passion and energy and I own my ability to make a difference every day. As a family of committed Team Members, we treat each other with respect and take pride in working together to create fun in everything we do. I know that my contributions result in new opportunities and memorable experiences.