Creative Director, Entertainment – Universal Beijing Resort
Universal Parks & Resorts is comprised of Universal Orlando Resort, Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal Studios Japan, Universal Studios Singapore, as well as a new destination coming in Beijing, China. We are a universe of opportunities for people who have a lot to offer. It takes a special kind of person to work at all of our destinations. An individual who knows how to be part of a team. Someone with a sense of fun who’s serious about their work. A person who knows it doesn’t take magic to put a smile on a guest’s face… it takes hard work, dedication, knowledge and just the right amount of Universal attitude. Universal’s theme parks offer exactly the kind of vacation families crave – bringing together popular culture’s most compelling stories, characters and adventures to create some of the world’s most innovative and entertaining attraction experiences. These are immersive, next-level, adventures such as The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™, outrageously fun attractions such as Despicable Me Minion Mayhem and highly themed, authentic experiences based on cutting-edge television, such as Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon. We embrace the power of cultural diversity and inclusion and continuously strive to maintain a team that is a reflection of our global audience. Universal Parks & Resorts adheres to ‘The Universal Way’ by not just meeting guest expectations, but exceeding them, every time. Join us if you want to collaborate, innovate, develop, and deliver the most compelling entertainment experiences imaginable that drive growth for the Universal brand around the world. Universal Parks & Resorts provides world-class entertainment destinations with signature theme parks that create unparalleled entertainment.
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for the development of content strategy and creative team management for all assigned Entertainment creative projects. Key liaison that drives alignment of cross-functional teams and participates in Entertainment executive level strategy discussions. Presents concepts to leadership and works with various Entertainment and other departments to plan desired success of show launches. Manages the Universal Beijing Resort Entertainment Show Direction teams & the Art & Design Team. Manages relationships with and responses to License Partners with respect to pitches, presentations, and information requested to obtain IP concept approvals. Liaises with cross-functional teams including Production & Events, Entertainment Operations, Entertainment Administration, Entertainment Costuming, Entertainment Technical, Marketing, Advertising, Public Relations and other counterparts. During preopening, he/she will assist as necessary in the creative process with the Universal Creative Group.
- Responsible for strategically planning and driving the content for a state of the art and financially efficient theme park Entertainment department.
- Collaborates with Director Entertainment and other Entertainment leaders on the development of new show concepts, seasonal and special events by generating concepts for all Entertainment creative needs.
- Oversee and direct the execution of concept designs of all applicable project elements during blue sky and concept phases, insure guest experience intent, story and overall quality is maintained through project delivery.
- Oversee the development and creation of appropriate project presentations to both internal and external audiences to communicate project concept, content, and status.
- Interacts and provides approved updates and correspondences with various Intellectual Property holders.
- Work with Entertainment divisions (Art & Design, Technical and Production) and external partners to identify talent and manage resources necessary to complete the blue sky and concept phases and all the way through project opening.
- Provides leadership, coaching and mentoring to creative staff.
During Project Planning:
- Partners with Universal Beijing Resort Project Team to prepare for eventual show creative handover.
Team Member Satisfaction & Learning & Development:
- Responsible to practice the core company Vision, Mission & Values, and ensure that the staff does the same.
- Responsible for the development of Creative management and staff, including training, coaching and mentoring to ensure that team members are provided learning and career development opportunities.
- Ensure that productivity and service delivery of the department is improved on a continuous basis by keeping team members motivated and retained.
- Develop cross training and temporary promotional opportunity programs
- Identify and groom successors within the team, preparing them for the next accountable roles and recommending them for external trainings whenever required in consultation with HR Department.
- Ensures Direct Reports are driving Team Member Satisfaction (TSAT) initiatives to increase internal team member satisfaction.
Implements and manages programs within the Creative Department to support improvement of company-wide Team Member satisfaction drivers.
- Directly monitors training programs, working conditions, and organizational processes for all reporting areas to ensure relevancy and effectiveness.
During Project Planning:
- Hire, train, and develop opening Creative Team Members to deliver the required standards of the resort.
- Develop programs that allow our team members to execute their roles in a satisfying, safe, efficient and logical manner for their day-to-day operations.
- Must be able to relocate to Beijing.
- Bachelor’s degree in Theater Design, Theater Management of related field.
- Master’s degree in related field preferred
- 8 – 15 years’ experience planning and developing strategy within the theater, theme park or cruise line entertainment industries.
- Professional Theatrical Industry experience is preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Previous leadership experience is preferred.
- Microsoft Office, Budgeting, and Management experience required.
Your talent, skills and experience will be rewarded with a competitive compensation package.
Universal is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Universal Parks & Resorts via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written Statement of Work in place for this position from Universal Parks & Resorts HR/Recruitment will be deemed the sole property of Universal Parks & Resorts. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Universal Parks & Resorts as a result of the referral or through other means.
Universal elements and all related indicia TM & © 2019 Universal Studios. © 2019 Universal Orlando. All rights reserved. EOE
Universal Parks & Resorts is a place where I am encouraged to let my true self shine. I work with passion and energy and I own my ability to make a difference every day. As a family of committed Team Members, we treat each other with respect and take pride in working together to create fun in everything we do. I know that my contributions result in new opportunities and memorable experiences.