Assistant Director, Entertainment Technical – Universal Beijing Resort (based in Beijing)
Universal Parks & Resorts is comprised of Universal Orlando Resort, Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal Studios Japan, Universal Studios Singapore, as well as a new destination coming in Beijing, China. We are a universe of opportunities for people who have a lot to offer. It takes a special kind of person to work at all of our destinations. An individual who knows how to be part of a team. Someone with a sense of fun who’s serious about their work. A person who knows it doesn’t take magic to put a smile on a guest’s face… it takes hard work, dedication, knowledge and just the right amount of Universal attitude. Universal’s theme parks offer exactly the kind of vacation families crave – bringing together popular culture’s most compelling stories, characters and adventures to create some of the world’s most innovative and entertaining attraction experiences. These are immersive, next-level, adventures such as The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™, outrageously fun attractions such as Despicable Me Minion Mayhem and highly themed, authentic experiences based on cutting-edge television, such as Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon. We embrace the power of cultural diversity and inclusion and continuously strive to maintain a team that is a reflection of our global audience. Universal Parks & Resorts adheres to ‘The Universal Way’ by not just meeting guest expectations, but exceeding them, every time. Join us if you want to collaborate, innovate, develop, and deliver the most compelling entertainment experiences imaginable that drive growth for the Universal brand around the world. Universal Parks & Resorts provides world-class entertainment destinations with signature theme parks that create unparalleled entertainment.
JOB SUMMARY: The Assistant Director, Entertainment Technical is responsible for the management of all technical standards, procedures, systems, equipment, and staff leadership of Technical Entertainment for the Entertainment Division. Including Audio, Video, Lighting, Rigging, Staging, Pyrotechnics, Special Effects, & Show Control, as it pertains to all resort areas including CityWalk, the Theme Park, & Special Events for Universal Beijing Resort. Manages the leadership teams who are responsible for all aspects of the day-to-day operations for Technical Entertainment. He/She is responsible for staffing, budgeting, asset management, planning, and the management & execution of MICE & marquee events. He/she specifically manages the Atmosphere, Theatres, Spectaculars, CityWalk, and Events Technical teams and will ensure a world-class technical entertainment product for resort guests, employee satisfaction, financial results, and safety for all theatrical venues within the resort. During preopening, he/she will assist as necessary in the creative development process with the Universal Creative Group.
- Responsible for strategically planning and operating a state of the art and financially efficient theme park technical entertainment operation.
- Collaborate with Director Entertainment and other Senior Entertainment leaders on the development of new show concepts, seasonal marquee events, and special events by Technically Directing all Entertainment productions.
- Leads Technical Entertainment Management team in day-to-day operations. This includes the Audio, Video, Lighting, Rigging, Staging, Pyrotechnics, Special Effects, & Show Control teams. Provides feedback on performance gives direction and training on how to handle, solve, and prevent situations and develop communication, decision making and reasoning skills.
- Overall in charge of the resort wide Pyrotechnics Program. This includes understanding and following all local and national legal requirements, operation, safety, and the training and management of staff.
- Monitors and ensures that all technical areas meet or exceed show quality standards including but not limited to financial, Guest Satisfaction (GSAT), Team Member Satisfaction (TSAT) and safety related issues.
- Responsible for the continual evaluation of the Technical Entertainment Standard Operating Procedure and creating, requesting and recommending updates as required.
- Responsible to practice the core company Vision, Mission & Values, and ensure that the staff does the same.
- Administrative tasks include but are not limited to daily entertainment inter-department correspondences, generate and/or approve order requests and purchase requisitions, manages resource and supply inventory, maintains regular meetings with supervisors, maintains accurate files, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
During Project Planning:
- Partners with Universal Beijing Resort Project Team and show vendors on the development of and implementation of technical theater systems including but not limited to Parade, Action Stunt Spectacular, Multi-purpose Theater, and Streetmosphere Entertainment.
- Develops plan to acquire all Entertainment special event technical equipment based on approved budget.
- Participation in facility construction by monitoring build progress and post-construction assessments for potential changes/improvements and additions to entertainment venues.
- Additionally, confirms all Entertainment equipment needs for all entertainment technical facilities.
- Prepares and presents input for annual labor budget, consumables, new and replacement technical equipment, other expenses, and capital expenditures to the next reporting line.
- Manage and control the actual cost verses budget on periodic basis and provide financial reports/data related to the entertainment technical department’s financial performance.
- Provide financial vision, leadership and direction for Team Members to ensure financial success.
- Reviews daily Entertainment Technical performance statistics and shares real time analysis with managers and direct reports enabling them to make key adjustments and improvements to the costuming program.
During Project Planning:
- Works in conjunction with Universal Beijing Resort Project Team to ensure technical equipment and technical show development is in line with post-opening financial operating requirements.
Team Member Satisfaction and Learning & Development:
- Responsible for the development of Technical management and staff, including training, coaching and mentoring to ensure that team members are provided learning and career development opportunities.
- Ensure that productivity and service delivery of the department is improved on a continuous basis by keeping team members motivated and retained.
- Develop cross training and temporary promotional opportunity programs
- Identify and groom successors within the team, preparing them for the next accountable roles and recommending them for external trainings whenever required in consultation with Human Resources Department.
- Ensures Direct Reports are driving Team Member Satisfaction (TSAT) initiatives to increase internal team member satisfaction.
- Implements and manages programs within the Technical Department to support improvement of company-wide Team Member satisfaction drivers.
- Directly monitors training programs, working conditions, and organizational processes for all reporting areas to ensure relevancy and effectiveness.
During Project Planning:
- Hire, train, and develop opening Entertainment Technical Team Members to deliver the required standards of the resort.
- Develop programs that allow our team members to execute their roles in a satisfying, safe, efficient and logical manner for their day-to-day operations.
QUALIFICATIONS: Must be able to relocate to Beijing, China.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: University Diploma from a college or university in Technical Theater or equivalent experience of a minimum of 7 to 10 years within the Theatre, Theme Park or Cruise line Technical Entertainment industries. Master’s degree in (discipline) or equivalent experience within the Professional Theatrical Industry preferred.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Microsoft Office, Budgeting, and Management experience required. Technical Entertainment Discipline Knowledge is required (Rigging, Staging, Scenic, Lighting, Video, Pyrotechnics, Show Control). Knowledge of CAD, Engineering Principles, Budgeting, Scheduling, Scope Writing, Problem Solving, Strong Written & Oral Communication skills and Leading & Motivating teams. Knowledge of Universal preferred technical theater software and show control systems like RSS, Medialon, Alcorn Mcbride, Qsys Designer, & Qlab.
Your talent, skills and experience will be rewarded with a competitive compensation package.
Universal is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Universal Parks & Resorts via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written Statement of Work in place for this position from Universal Parks & Resorts HR/Recruitment will be deemed the sole property of Universal Parks & Resorts. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Universal Parks & Resorts as a result of the referral or through other means.
IT’S A BIG UNIVERSE. WHERE DO YOU FIT IN?
Universal elements and all related indicia TM & © 2019 Universal Studios. © 2019 Universal Orlando. All rights reserved. EOE
Universal Parks & Resorts is a place where I am encouraged to let my true self shine. I work with passion and energy and I own my ability to make a difference every day. As a family of committed Team Members, we treat each other with respect and take pride in working together to create fun in everything we do. I know that my contributions result in new opportunities and memorable experiences.