Technician, Costume Maintenance
Location: Orlando, FL
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for maintaining costumes, heads, hands, feet and accessories for existing characters, shows and new projects; and recreating existing costumes and pieces by repairing and/or replacing them.
- Maintain costumes by repairing, rehabbing, recreating, replacing, and/or distressing character heads, hands, feet and accessories on site.
- Troubleshoot character/costume problems, on site analysis. Determine, with input as needed, whether problem can be resolved on location or needs to be transferred to Skin Shop.
- Assist with the fittings of new and existing performers, and make costume adjustments per supervisory authorization.
- Assist with setting up and implementing procedures for new shows, events, and characters to facilitate the daily maintenance.
- Track and report material, repair, and/or distressing successes or failures to supervisor weekly.
- Assists in cleanliness and organization of the work areas by assuring that all containers are labeled and stored according to MSDS and NFPA standards, and performs accurate logging of daily work product.
- Understands and actively participates in Environmental, Health & Safety responsibilities by following established UO policy, procedures, training and team member involvement activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: High school diploma or equivalent, Associate’s degree (AA) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school.
EXPERIENCE: Knowledge of character head/part repair, re-covering with fabric, fur and foam, re-painting both with hand painting and air brush techniques, cleaning, patching and sanding plastic parts, paint color matching, work with harnesses and aluminum repairs and neat precise finishing work; knowledge of paint types, glues and repair mediums and materials; working knowledge of design and costume construction with sculpting, mold making, vacuforming, foam carving and plastics work; fitting, doing alterations and trouble shooting for performer comfort and knowledge of handling and disposing of hazardous materials required. One to three years professional experience working in this field preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience..
Universal Orlando Resort. Here you can.
Universal Orlando is an equal opportunity employer. Universal elements and all related indicia TM & © 2020 Universal Studios. All rights reserved.
Universal Parks & Resorts is a place where I am encouraged to let my true self shine. I work with passion and energy and I own my ability to make a difference every day. As a family of committed Team Members, we treat each other with respect and take pride in working together to create fun in everything we do. I know that my contributions result in new opportunities and memorable experiences.