Manager, Costume Fabrication & Maintenance
JOB SUMMARY: Manages all functions of Costume Fabrication including design implementation of new projects, management of fabrication team members to meet production schedules and budgets. Responsible for maintaining costume integrity and quality for UO. Manages all new fabrication efforts for shows or projects in addition to replacement costumes. Assists with the creative and innovative design efforts for special projects produced by Entertainment
- Manages daily operation of Costume Fabrication Dept. including managing Team Member assignments, productivity, schedules and timecards; daily inter-department correspondence; generates and/or gives approval of all order requests and purchase requisitions; oversees current inventory and development plans and budgets; staff motivation, coaching and evaluation.
- Manage and assist with new builds/projects, planning, set up and organization manage work load of alterations, changes, new needs from fittings & rehearsals develop outside vendor resources – planning, communication and coordination monitor and be active in the ordering of fabric & supplies for all sewing projects manage fitting process and oversee alterations and maintenance efforts.
- Responsible for maintaining a standard and consistent patterning process. Evaluate cutting methods and procedures to maximize fabric usage. Oversee workspace utilization to ensure proper equipment and tools are being used effectively. Managing the overall organization of shop and work processes
- Monitor change process of costumes in Issue Area and in Shows to approve changes to costume design with focus on functionality, safety and quality standards. Maintain flow of information between fabrication team and production/stage managers. Troubleshoot and resolve issues within specified disciplines. Monitor quality and costume consistency of fabricated costumes in all areas.
- Assist design team with the creative and innovative design efforts for special projects produced by Entertainment
- Understands and actively participates in Environmental, Health & Safety responsibilities by following established UO policy, procedures, training and team member involvement activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Theatre, or costume design is required.
- Master’s degree in Costume Design is preferred.
- 5 -7 years professional experience managing a Theatrical based costume shop or area is required; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in show development preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities (KSAs) required.
- Experience in managing high volume costume fabrication operation
- Prior knowledge of Costume Design, Fabrication, industrial sewing equipment, rendering, fittings, alterations.
- Experience in budget development and expense management
- Familiarity and exposure to animated character costume preferred.
- Proven leadership experience
- Strong collaboration skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment
Universal is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Universal Orlando via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written Statement of Work in place for this position from Universal Orlando HR/Recruitment will be deemed the sole property of Universal Orlando. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Universal Orlando as a result of the referral or through other means.
Universal Orlando Resort. Here you can.
Universal Orlando is an equal opportunity employer. Universal elements and all related indicia TM & © 2019 Universal Studios. All rights reserved
Universal Parks & Resorts is a place where I am encouraged to let my true self shine. I work with passion and energy and I own my ability to make a difference every day. As a family of committed Team Members, we treat each other with respect and take pride in working together to create fun in everything we do. I know that my contributions result in new opportunities and memorable experiences.