Controls Engineering Opportunities
JOB SUMMARY: Performs moderately complex re-design and development efforts of show and / or ride control and software systems for theme park rides and attractions to provide increased reliability and operational improvements. Will be required to support downtime recovery efforts when necessary. Duties include troubleshooting, fault analysis, redesign assignments, test and start-up integration of Ride and Show systems. All work shall be in conformance with ASTM F24 Committee guidelines and compliant with applicable codes, regulations and standards including: AISC, ASME, ASTM, ANSI, AWS, JIC, NEC, and OSHA, among others.
- Implements solutions and performs design and/or programming modifications to Ride and Show system equipment on assigned projects to include hardware and software modifications to complex electrical and control systems to improve safety, reliability, operational readiness, diagnostics and serviceability of control systems.
- Manages assigned projects from design through installation to include project schedules, testing, training and budget demands.
- Prepares scope of work documents for engineering projects. Develops and conducts Acceptance Test Procedures on control systems modifications, generation of maintenance procedures and manual updates. Prepares and conducts maintenance training on controls equipment.
- Interfaces with ride supervisors and managers to resolve problems and design issues. Coordinates engineering activities between ride supervisors, ride managers and technicians.
- Monitors and interfaces with vendors/ride manufacturers to resolve problems and design issues. Prepares and reviews equipment specifications and performs technical evaluation of vendor products/services.
- Performs engineering calculations for design, analysis, test and implementation of electrical and control systems.
- Provides project status of assigned task list items to senior level engineers, Engineering Manger and/or appropriate ride manager on a regular basis. Updates project status via Maximo on a regular basis.
- Maintains configuration management of hardware and software documentation in accordance with Engineering’s guidelines for proper archiving and security.
- Understand and actively participate in Environmental, Health & Safety responsibilities by following established UO policy, procedures, training and team member involvement activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
SCOPE: Responsible for performing moderately complex re-design and development efforts for all Ride & Show control and software systems to provide increased reliability and operational improvements.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university in Electrical Engineering, Electronic Engineering Technology or Computer Engineering required; Master’s degree from a four-year college or university in Electrical Engineering, Electronic Engineering Technology or Computer Engineering preferred.
EXPERIENCE: 5-7 years demonstrated project engineering experience of control and software systems in an engineering environment for the development of dynamic motion systems in a theme park industry required. 5-7 years field experience of theme park technical fault analysis/isolation experience required. 6-8 years engineering experience in control systems and installation utilizing PLC’s, ladder logic, variable frequency drives and servo controls in a theme park or equivalent environment required. 6-8 years “Hands-on” experience with PLC automated and control systems required; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in the design of safety critical systems.
- Experience with servo controls as applied to hydraulic, pneumatic, and electromotive motion control systems required.
- Analytical skills to perform engineering calculations for design, analysis, test and implementation of electrical and motion control systems.
- Knowledge of a high-level programming language (“C” or Visual Basic).
- Proven ability to provide control system management.
- Experience of generation of control system specifications, acceptance test procedures.
- Knowledgeable in UL 508A, NEC, ASTM and F24 standards.
- Experience utilizing the following products and networks.
- PLC-5, SLC-500, ControlLogix, CompactLogix.
- PanelBuilder 1400E, PanelBuilder32, RSView 32, RSLinx, RSLogix 5, RSLogix 500, RSLogix 5000 and RSNetWorx.
- Allen-Bradley PLC hardware and software.
- AC and DC motors and motor control systems.
- Experience utilizing the following products and networks.
- Anitech and Gilderfluke show system controllers.
- 1305 and 1336 variable frequency drives.
- Data Highway Plus, Remote I/O, ControlNet, DeviceNet, Ethernet, DMX and SMPTE.
Your talent, skills and experience will be rewarded with a competitive compensation package.
Universal is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Universal Orlando via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written Statement of Work in place for this position from Universal Orlando HR/Recruitment will be deemed the sole property of Universal Orlando. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Universal Orlando as a result of the referral or through other means.
Universal Orlando Resort. Here you can.
Universal Orlando is an equal opportunity employer. Universal elements and all related indicia TM & © 2019 Universal Studios. All rights reserved. EOE
Universal Parks & Resorts is a place where I am encouraged to let my true self shine. I work with passion and energy and I own my ability to make a difference every day. As a family of committed Team Members, we treat each other with respect and take pride in working together to create fun in everything we do. I know that my contributions result in new opportunities and memorable experiences.