Sr. Art/Production Director – Themed Character Plaster & Rockwork – Universal's Epic Universe
At Universal Creative, we design, develop and deliver the most compelling entertainment experiences imaginable to drive growth for Universal Parks & Resorts worldwide. Our innovative attractions, immersive theme parks and world-class resorts fuse art and technology to create new standards in the themed entertainment industry.
Our Team Members are the driving force behind Universal Creative. With their diverse skills and forward-thinking ideas, our team pushes us beyond the boundaries of what’s possible to achieve the extraordinary. Together, we’re creating a Universe of fun, always ensuring the next thing we do is better than the last thing we did.
JOB SUMMARY: Provide theme character plaster (Stone Faced Plaster and Rockwork) art direction and leadership to a team of field art directors and vendors with the goal of creating and maintaining the design intent, story line and vision as created by a specific design team for the themed environments in interior and exterior guest areas.
- Responsible for leading a team to provide thorough aesthetic direction for features that will represent the designer’s intent for physical themed environments in exterior and interior guest areas.
- Work with internal teams to vet and manage vendors that will conduct the work.
- Hire and manage a team of field art directors that will carry out the vision of the design and provide oversight and clear direction to the vendors in a preemptive and timely manner to be able to execute the work while maintaining schedule.
- Establish systems and procedures that will streamline the process in order to create successful themed environments.
- Ensure themed plaster processes are well thought out and well executed.
- Establish and maintain good communication and relationships with representatives of individual design teams so that you may accurately represent their intentions in the field.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in Art, Theatrical Design and/or Architecture required; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
EXPERIENCE: 7-10 years of experience managing and leading a team to theme plaster complicated attractions and projects.
- Extensive Theme Plaster experience for theme parks and attractions.
- Must know useful additives, types of plaster and related materials and be able to demonstrate all forms of the theme plaster process. Must be able to be “hands on” when necessary to provide field guidance to art directors and vendors. Knowledge of the process of taking an established design and story, and turn that into an immersive presence using plaster, concrete and natural materials.
- Knowledge of how to use plaster as a medium to represent stone on buildings. Must know how the stone would work around architectural details, ornamentation, arches, doors, windows, etc., as if the building was made of stone.
- Knowledge of how to use plaster as a medium to represent natural forms (rock, trees, and wood), and storytelling through the theme plaster process.
- Must have story interpretation and development skills, and be able to visually translate a story into an environment.
- Must be able to frequently work outside on a construction site, multitask and manage urgent and difficult situations with good strategic thinking, planning and patience.
- Must be able to have great communication skills to be able to discuss process of theme plaster to designers, field personnel and vendors.
Your talent, skills and experience will be rewarded with a competitive compensation package.
Universal is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Universal Orlando via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written Statement of Work in place for this position from Universal Orlando HR/Recruitment will be deemed the sole property of Universal Orlando. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Universal Orlando as a result of the referral or through other means.
Universal elements and all related indicia TM & © 2019 Universal Studios. © 2019 Universal Orlando. All rights reserved. EOE
Universal Parks & Resorts is a place where I am encouraged to let my true self shine. I work with passion and energy and I own my ability to make a difference every day. As a family of committed Team Members, we treat each other with respect and take pride in working together to create fun in everything we do. I know that my contributions result in new opportunities and memorable experiences.