Internship – Concept Development & Visualization (Spring 2020)
At Universal Creative, we design, develop and deliver the most compelling entertainment experiences imaginable to drive growth for Universal Parks & Resorts worldwide. Our innovative attractions, immersive theme parks and world-class resorts fuse art and technology to create new standards in the themed entertainment industry.
Our Team Members are the driving force behind Universal Creative. With their diverse skills and forward-thinking ideas, our team pushes us beyond the boundaries of what’s possible to achieve the extraordinary. Together, we’re creating a Universe of fun, always ensuring the next thing we do is better than the last thing we did.
JOB SUMMARY: The Concept Development and Visualization intern is responsible for producing concept art, illustrations, research and designs for the pre-production Ideation, Blue Sky and Concept Development phases of attraction and theme park development. Uses creative problem-solving skills to address the needs and challenge of projects. Collaborates with a variety of team members to ensure that designs optimally achieve artistic and conceptual goals. Develop artwork and designs that are consistent with industry design quality and standards while capturing the essence of the guest experience.
The Concept Development Intern will perform many tasks related to the visual development of new ideas for attractions and experiences. This will include, but is not limited to:
- Storyboarding attraction scripts
- Producing both rough and rendered conceptual sketches
- Producing and working with architectural plans, sections, and elevations
- Colorizing pieces as part of production-line fulfillment
- Digitally create finish key-art for presentation and development exploration
- Confidentially participate in brainstorming sessions, contribute to project with both industry and personal experience, and experimenting with new techniques to efficiently produce artwork withing the department
- Understands and actively participates in Environmental, Health & Safety responsibilities by following established UO policy, procedures, training and team member involvement activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Additional duties of this role will include confidently participating in brainstorming sessions, contributing to projects with both industry and personal experience, and experimenting with new techniques to efficiently produce artwork within the department.
- In pursuit of an Associate, Bachelor or Graduate degree at an Accredited Institution with current class standing of Junior or above.
- Recent graduates will not be eligible for this program.
- Minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA is preferred.
- An official transcript may be required upon request.
- Preferred majors may include: Fine/Studio Arts, Visual Communication Design, Graphic Design, Digital Arts, Themed Entertainment Design, Illustration
Proficient in several visual Adobe programs, primarily Photoshop. Intermediate to proficient knowledge using Sketch Up or other 3D mock-up software. Extensive traditional fine art skills, and significant experience using perspective and composition skills to artistically render an image. Must show the ability to design architectural scenes including, but not limited to interior, exterior, and organic environments. Must have knowledge of, and be able to produce, several different artistic styles including, but not limited to: animated, realistic, sci-fi, fantasy, etc., as well as having adaptability to on-model stylization.
The preferred candidate would be an individual looking to work in the themed entertainment industry, with a demonstrated interest in theme park development. Should be capable of creative thinking and problem solving to address the needs and challenges of projects, as well as a good understanding of practical vs impractical application of concepts. A noted passion for visual storytelling.
Please include a link to your portfolio of your work or upload via option via application.
Please note the following:
- Universal Creative does not provide housing. Interns are responsible for their own housing and transportation.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Spring internships are from January 2020 to April 2020.
Universal is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Universal Orlando via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written Statement of Work in place for this position from Universal Orlando HR/Recruitment will be deemed the sole property of Universal Orlando. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Universal Orlando as a result of the referral or through other means.
IT’S A BIG UNIVERSE. WHERE DO YOU FIT IN?
Universal elements and all related indicia TM & © 2019 Universal Studios. All rights reserved. EOE
Universal Parks & Resorts is a place where I am encouraged to let my true self shine. I work with passion and energy and I own my ability to make a difference every day. As a family of committed Team Members, we treat each other with respect and take pride in working together to create fun in everything we do. I know that my contributions result in new opportunities and memorable experiences.