Director, Global Strategic Planning
Universal Parks & Resorts is comprised of Universal Orlando Resort, Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal Studios Japan, Universal Studios Singapore, as well as a new destination coming in Beijing, China. We are a universe of opportunities for people who have a lot to offer. It takes a special kind of person to work at all of our destinations. An individual who knows how to be part of a team. Someone with a sense of fun who’s serious about their work. A person who knows it doesn’t take magic to put a smile on a guest’s face… it takes hard work, dedication, knowledge and just the right amount of Universal attitude. Universal’s theme parks offer exactly the kind of vacation families crave – bringing together popular culture’s most compelling stories, characters and adventures to create some of the world’s most innovative and entertaining attraction experiences. These are immersive, next-level, adventures such as The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™, outrageously fun attractions such as Despicable Me Minion Mayhem and highly themed, authentic experiences based on cutting-edge television, such as Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon. We embrace the power of cultural diversity and inclusion and continuously strive to maintain a team that is a reflection of our global audience. Universal Parks & Resorts adheres to ‘The Universal Way’ by not just meeting guest expectations, but exceeding them, every time. Join us if you want to collaborate, innovate, develop, and deliver the most compelling entertainment experiences imaginable that drive growth for the Universal brand around the world. Universal Parks & Resorts provides world-class entertainment destinations with signature theme parks that create unparalleled entertainment.
JOB SUMMARY: The Director, Strategic Planning will be responsible for creating and leading the integrated, continual planning process across destinations from long range plan to budget. They will drive annual strategies and long term plans that are adaptive and innovative, including framing overall approach, and manage key performance metrics across the business. They will lead a team focused on a complete overhaul of the planning process.
- Identify and map destination-level short-range strategies, tactics and goals to global portfolio strategies and goals
- Establish and steer new open and flexible planning principles so the direction of the organization can be adapted to changing circumstances; support M&S year-round on this approach to optimize resource allocation and optimization
- Partner with finance to improve M&S resource allocation and proactively identify opportunities to achieve goals
- Pinpoint and bring forward ‘gaps’ (e.g. funding gaps, technology gaps, etc.); make strategic recommendations to resolve with key stakeholders
- Lead efforts to facilitate communication and collaboration among leadership on key activities and milestones
- Identify and track strategic key performance indicators to create shared accountability
- Partner with finance to enable responsiveness to business and environmental needs and changes in order to allow resources to be funneled to where the business need exists appropriately; identify opportunities for cost savings
- Partner with finance to ensure that planned and allocated budget dollars and headcount are applied and executed according to the approved strategy and timing
Key Performance Metrics across the Portfolio
- Consolidate collective business performance metrics and external impacts across various departments and destinations; partner with sister teams to track and report KPIs and subsequently deliver a business-focused POV
- Partner with various teams including destination strategy, pricing & promotions, consumer insights, digital analytics, finance, HR, and others to continually stay abreast of metrics and direction; become an expert user of dashboards available from all teams
- Standardize and align on metrics and reporting structure
- Stay abreast of new and innovative data sources available globally to quantify trends, opportunities, and threats in the theme park industry, economic space, and leisure travel
- Partner with teams leading short-term forecasts and long term demand models to bring forward trends and expected gaps as part of regular reporting
- Responsible for keeping business leaders informed on state of the business and early warnings signs for declining trends and future need periods (short and long term)
- Pin point changes in metrics that are significant and unexpected; measure and bring forward progress to key KPI targets
- Identify new sources of external near-real-time data that cannot be fully explained by internal data (in-market stats, market trends, industry changes, etc.) to create immediate and predictive reads on market
SCOPE: Key influencer of Sales and Marketing functions and peers throughout the organization. Strong project management skills.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree required. MBA or Master’s degree preferred.
EXPERIENCE: 10+ years of project management or strategic planning experience, preferably in support of the consumer entertainment, travel or amusement park industry.
- Strong project management competency managing cross-functional roles without direct supervision and ability to select and manage vendors and outside contractors to augment internal capabilities
- Gift for visualizing and pulling together a story, in the form of a Power Point, to answer a strategic business question
- Demonstrated cross-functional expertise in diverse fields such as marketing, strategy, finance, operations, etc. and with skills as far ranging as market demand modeling, ROI analysis, competitive risk assessments and scenario planning
- Superb diplomacy skills, ability to use levers to persuade others to take action and to strive to find solutions that meet the mutual needs of all parties and the company as a whole
- Ability to partner internationally and willingness to learn the culture and unique differences of each park
- Experience managing a direct report
Your talent, skills and experience will be rewarded with a competitive compensation package.
Universal is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Universal Parks & Resorts via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written Statement of Work in place for this position from Universal Parks & Resorts HR/Recruitment will be deemed the sole property of Universal Parks & Resorts. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Universal Parks & Resorts as a result of the referral or through other means.
Universal elements and all related indicia TM & © 2019 Universal Studios. © 2019 Universal Orlando. All rights reserved. EOE
Universal Parks & Resorts is a place where I am encouraged to let my true self shine. I work with passion and energy and I own my ability to make a difference every day. As a family of committed Team Members, we treat each other with respect and take pride in working together to create fun in everything we do. I know that my contributions result in new opportunities and memorable experiences.