JOB SUMMARY: Composite Technicians are responsible for fabricating and repairing fiberglass and carbon fiber items. This includes designed modifications, both structural and cosmetic of ride vehicles, show figures and other props and products as directed by both Engineering and Management directives. This position is detailed orientated and involves crafting, cutting, trimming, sanding, assembly, vacuum bagging among other operations involved in the successful production of composite materials. It is essential to have a complete understanding of ‘Lay Up Charts’, drawings, blueprints, and engineered speciation’s to insure the quality and structural integrity of parts that are being repaired and manufactured.
- Performs structural and cosmetic fiberglass and carbon fiber repairs to ride vehicles which may include direction of Management, Quality Control and the engineering group. Suggests optional procedures for repairs on new and damaged parts and implements changes as needed or directed.
- Performs structural and cosmetic fiberglass and carbon fiber repairs to a variety of props, show figures and miscellaneous animation parts. Determines type of resin and catalyst and accurately measures predetermined amounts required for saturation and adhesion of material for the application.
- Selects precut layers of mat, cloth, carbon fiber and wood bracing if required for projects being repaired or manufactured.
- Applies multiple layers of mat / fiber to surfaces assuring adhesion and repeating the process until the desired thickness, contour and strength is achieved.
- Performs gel coating as needed on ride vehicles, props, materials, and miscellaneous parts using spray and brush techniques which may include direction of Management, Engineering and the Quality Control Dept.
- Hand lays sections of saturated mat or cloth into place on molds, using proper tooling to insure placement of material is correct. Uses brushes, rollers and squeegees as needed to smooth out air pockets, air bubbles and wrinkles to achieve full contact and proper adhesion.
- Design, manufacture and repair both hard and soft molds for composite material products that are used throughout the venues.
- Performs hand sculpting of different materials for a variety of props, show figures and miscellaneous parts utilizing catalyzed foam, clay, latex and foam sheets and blocks.
- Safely and properly create a vacuum bag barrier on repaired parts and operate a vacuum pump to evacuate all air from the repair area.
EDUCATION: High school degree or GED is required while a completion of a related technical school course is preferred. Previous training in automotive body work, marine or aerospace industries is essential.
EXPERIENCE: 5-7 Years: Structural lay up of composite matting materials as well as grinding and prep for repairs of finished products required. Additional experience of properly preparing indications and feathering composite materials to insure all affected areas of discrepancies have been removed. Knowledge of spraying and brushing of gel coatings is required.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Valid Florida Drivers License/ required to operate company vehicles.
Your talent, skills and experience will be rewarded with a competitive compensation package.
Universal is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Universal Orlando via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written Statement of Work in place for this position from Universal Orlando HR/Recruitment will be deemed the sole property of Universal Orlando. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Universal Orlando as a result of the referral or through other means.
IT’S A BIG UNIVERSE. WHERE DO YOU FIT IN?
Universal elements and all related indicia TM & © 2017 Universal Studios. © 2017 Universal Orlando. All rights reserved. EOE
Universal Parks & Resorts is a place where I am encouraged to let my true self shine. I work with passion and energy and I own my ability to make a difference every day. As a family of committed Team Members, we treat each other with respect and take pride in working together to create fun in everything we do. I know that my contributions result in new opportunities and memorable experiences.