To perform the role of a Barista (Starbucks) successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Consistent attendance and punctuality is a job requirement.
- High school diploma or GED preferred.
- Six months to one year previous line/production cook experience preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Available for 40 hours of Starbucks required training.
- Ability to learn and demonstrate all performance standards by completing training and passing Barista certification with a score of 90% or better.
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the Barista (Starbucks) job.
While performing the duties of this job, the individual is regularly required to:
- Regularly (2/3 of the time or more) stand for prolonged periods of time; walk for prolonged periods; talk; use of hands and fingers to grip, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach, pull, push with hands and arms below head and occasionally above head; use repetition input device-a keyboard or mouse-in a steady manner; adjust focus (ability to adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus while in changing light conditions e.g., sunshine to indoor or dark conditions); maintain alertness and attentiveness up to 4 hours while working varying hours; taste; smell.
- Frequently (1/3 to 2/3 of the time) hear audible alarms, voice commands with background noise; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; lift and/or push up to 50 pounds with control; use close vision with or without corrective lens (clear vision at 20 inches or less); distance vision with or without corrective lens (clear vision at 20 feet or more); color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors); peripheral vision (ability to observe an area that can be seen up and down or to the left and right while eyes are fixed on a given point); depth perception (vision, ability to judge distances and spatial relationships); work in varied light conditions including low or diminished lighting; maintain concentration/focus (e.g., ability to interpret the work environment and make decisions on predetermined operating policies and procedure).
- Occasionally (1/3 of the time or less) climb stairs/ladders; work at heights for prolonged periods of time including heights with or without railings or over open pits greater than 4 feet; work in an environment subject to vibrations; work in an environment with flashing lights including strobe lamps; work in small or tight spaces.
The work environment characteristics described below are representative of those an individual encounters while performing the essential functions of the Baristas (Starbucks) job.
- Occasionally (1/3 of the time or less) required to work in extreme heat (non-weather).
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.