Vice President, Concept Architectural – Universal Creative
We rarely wear suits. We think pop culture is fascinating and newsworthy. We are aware that possibilities are not limited by today’s realities. We know that everyone has good ideas (and the occasional bad one as well). We know that the world is large and varied, and that we touch all of it. We know that most high school guidance counselors don’t know our jobs exist. We know that if this were easy, everyone would be doing it. We know that there is an eclectic assortment of talented people from various professional backgrounds at the heart of Universal Creative. In addition, we embrace the power of cultural diversity and inclusion and continuously strive to maintain a team that is a reflection of our global audience. We are a diverse group, but united by a common goal: to dream and deliver the best possible out-of-home entertainment for people from every walk of life. In order to make that happen, Universal Creative relies on collaboration, hard work, synchronicity, a bit of luck, and a bunch of talented, experienced people who do not let ego and turf stand in the way of brilliance. We depend on a team of people who understand the task, the business implications, and refuse to be defeated by the challenge to fuse fantasy with physics. Universal Creative embraces ‘The Universal Way’ by not just meeting guest expectations, but exceeding them, every time.
SUMMARY: The VP of Concept Architectural Design will oversee the creation and development of design concepts, design presentation strategies, and provide creative and process leadership to the Concept Architectural design team through all design phases of projects and a variety of project types for all Creative Studio project development including but not limited to Domestic and International parks and resorts, attractions, support facilities, entertainment, and retail centers. Responsible for maintaining in-depth knowledge of strategic business plans.
- Partners and works with Senior Management presenting design information, in business development, land planning and Master planning efforts. Facilitates code reviews, software design sessions and architectural reviews. Also oversees the development design strategy to achieve quality deliverables within schedule and on the budget. Partners and Interacts with internal and external partners while representing Universal Creative at meetings and delivering presentations to executive management and other team members.
- Oversee architectural design efforts of all new projects. Directs the early facility design efforts. Responsible for the planning and development of Domestic and International parks master planning.
- Responsible for approving design staff work, and may serve as designer for more complex or larger projects. Oversees and manages in-house and external architectural designers/partners ensuring all of the facilities are being designed to meet all of the project requirements (aesthetics, technical, budget, schedule and competencies). Oversee the Architecture and Concept Design team during the early design phases of project development.
- Responsible for managing professional firms to include: Land Planning, Building Architecture, Civil Engineering, Traffic Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Soil Engineering, Structural Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Communication Systems and Food Facilities, Interior Design, Landscape Architecture and Legal Counsel.
- Drives and identifies requirements for outside design resources, forecasts resource requirements for each phase of a contract, and develops a corresponding budget. Presents status of the project and other outside Architecture and Engineering design efforts to senior leadership.
- Experience creating and developing overall design concepts and formulating design presentation strategies with an understanding of trends in large, shell/core architectural design.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Outstanding graphic presentation skills.
- Strong leadership, management and mentoring skills.
- Ability to develop collaborative relationships with internal and external partners.
- Strong, persuasive communicator with excellent verbal presentation skills and ability to communicate complex design concepts to Senior Management.
- A desire to mentor team members, offer guidance and leadership.
- Knowledge of the total project process including team management, schedules and budgets.
- Knowledge of AutoCAD and REVIT is a plus.
- The candidate for this position will operate under a fast paced, dynamic, entrepreneurial environment and will possess the necessary breadth of land development and architectural experience regarding land use, financial, legal and planning issues to manage external professional firms that form the multi-disciplinary team for planning, design and construction of major theme parks and resorts at numerous site locations.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree is required in Architecture or a related field. Master’s degree or advanced degree in Architecture or Design preferred.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Licensed Architect preferred
- Must have concept architectural experience in a Theme Park environment. Only candidates with this experience will be considered.
- 15+ years of professional experience including proven track record of leading the design of large-scale projects such as theme parks, resorts, entertainment centers, large restaurants, commercial or mixed-use projects required.
- Exceptional design skills, a strong portfolio of innovative design solutions with emphasis on built work, hand and computer drawing, and drafting skills required.
- Experience and strong understanding in various software programs such as AUTO CADD, Sketch Up, Adobe Photoshop, illustrator.
- Knowledge of forecasting and budget allocation techniques.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
- Familiarity of international is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of forecasting and budget allocation techniques.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
- Familiarity of international (expatriate assignments) is highly desirable.
We regret, due to the volume of responses, only applicants of interest will be contacted. Universal is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Universal Orlando via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written Statement of Work in place for this position from Universal Orlando HR/Recruitment will be deemed the sole property of Universal Orlando. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Universal Orlando as a result of the referral or through other means.
To go directly to this position cut and paste the Job Posting number: 32707BR
IT’S A BIG UNIVERSE. WHERE DO YOU FIT IN?
Universal elements and all related indicia TM & © 2017 Universal Studios. © 2017 Universal Orlando. All rights reserved. EOE